I found this recipe online, I do not remember the site. These cupcakes were just ok. They were not bad by any means, however, they are not quite up to par on any of the others that I made. I did not use the frosting recipe bur made my own. I used fresh blueberries that I pureed and then gently mixed it into my generic cream cheese frosting. The frosting had a hint of blueberry in it and was fantastic.
The cupcakes on the other hand were a bit dry and were more like a sponge cake. I will need to find a new recipe for the cupcake on my next iteration. Once I have the “go to” recipe, I will update this post.
|cake flour||2 1/4 cup|
|baking powder||1 tbsp|
|poppy seeds||2 tbsp|
|buttermilk||1 1/4 cup|
|sugar||1 1/2 cup|
|lemon zest||3 small lemons|
|unsalted butter||1 stick|
|vanilla extract||1 1/2 tsp|
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pans with liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the poppy seeds
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg whites.
- combine sugar and lemon zest and mix together rub together with till very fragrent and oils from zest has been extracted into the sugar
- Add in the butter and mix until it is very light, about 3 minutes
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- on low speed, add in one third of the flour mixture.
- add in half of the buttermilk mixture, beating until incorporated. Repeat this process until mixed completely
- Once incorporated, increase the speed to medium low and beat for 2 minutes, to ensure it is well aerated.
- Fill the cupcakes about 3/4 full
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool pan for about 5 minutes on cooling rack
- remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on cooling rack before frosting