|shiitake dashi||1/2 cup|
|soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|beef, very thinly sliced||1 lbs|
|boiled egg, medium||2-3|
- Bring a medium sauce pan of water to a low boil
- add the thinly sliced beef to the water and par cook for about 30 seconds. Removed and set aside.
- cut the onion into thinly slices and chop the green onion. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat and addthe dashi, sake, sugar, mirin, and soy sauce.
- Cover the lid and bring the sauce to boil. Once the sauce is boiling, add the sliced onions and spread them
out. Cover to cook until tender (if you don’t cover, the sauce will evaporate, so make sure you cover the lid).
- When the onion is tender, add the beef including any juices that remain and cook until no longer pink.
- Serve the meat and sauce over steamed rice.
- Top with chopped green onion and pickled red ginger and boiled egg.
Note: If you cannot find sliced beef in your local grocery store, freeze a block of fresh chuck or rib eye for 1-2 hours
and slice. If you can also check the local Asian stores. This is where I get mine.